In this episode, Nicole and Michael share fresh farmer’s market updates, discuss the changing seasons and fall colors, and Nicole shares her two decades of laundry expertise that will save you time and money while making your clothing last longer than you ever dreamed.
- Turn clothing inside out
- Zip zippers
- Button up buttons
- Empty pockets
Never load your machine more than 3/4 full
Machines with no agitator need to be loaded in a circle
In older top loading machines add soap first THEN clothing
- Unless you are stripping clothing that has been
- Washed repeatedly with fabric softener
- Towels that have started to mildew from improper washing
- Gym clothes that have an odor from improper washing
Follow directions on clothing labels BUT
- When in doubt go with cool or cold water
- Towels = hot
- Sheets = warm
- Cotton clothing = cold
- Jeans = cold
- Gym clothes = cold
- Dog stuff = warm
Products we use:
- Oxiclean (2 tablespoons)
- Ecos laundry detergent
- Bio-Kleen bac-out
- Vinegar – 1/4 to 1/2 cup to remove odors
- Baking soda – 1/2 cup to neutralize and help the detergent work – brighter whites
- fabric softener leaves a residue on clothing that prevents waterproof and athletic clothing from wicking
- it leaves a buildup in machines that can prevent that machine from working and can cause mold and mildew
- Skip scent boosters – fat that coat the fibers of your clothing and cause a buildup over time – can also clog the washing machine filters
- causes a build up on towels over time making them less absorbent can also make them smell
Clean old stains (ring around the collar, shower curtains anything)
- Cover in Dawn soap and soak for one hour
- Soak for one hour in oxiclean
- Spray with oxiclean stain remover
- Wash as normal.
Clean your washing machine – use a washing machine cleaner every 30 days (oxiclean)
- If you have stubborn mold in the washer seal, put on rubber gloves and soak towels oxiclean and tuck into the seal. Allow to sit for one hour.
- Wipe the seal of the washer out with the towels and then throw the towels into the wash basin.
- Add 2 cups of bleach to the detergent tray and run on the cleaning cycle. If you don’t have a cleaning cycle option, run on the longest, hottest cleaning cycle.
- Add 2 cups of vinegar to the detergent tray and run again on the cleaning cycle or hottest cycle available.
- Run one last cycle with just water, no added bleach, vinegar, or detergent.
- Remove and disassemble the detergent tray if possible and soak in warm soapy water for 10 minutes. Wipe out with a rag or sponge, then rinse and dry before returning to the washer.
- Use a damp cloth or your favorite cleaner to wipe down the exterior of the washer.
After every load of clothes
- leave the lid of the washing machine open
- leave the detergent drawer open
Use allergy covers on your pillows – wash every three months (run your pillows through the dryer on high every three months for 20 to 30 minutes)