Nicole and Michael discuss all the streaming services available now, what it was like in the early days of streaming, and more.
- Youtube was the first service in 2005
- In 2010 it was either Netflix or Hulu
- Today there are over 300 streaming services
- The average household has four streaming services and average viewer pays $47/month on all their subscriptions combined
- The average cable bill is currently around $100 per month for basic cable
- 1/3 of Americans share their Netflix password
- Netflix permits up to five profiles on one Netflix account.
- HBO Max is also permitting up to five profiles on one account. Interestingly, they never allowed more than one on the HBO Max predecessor HBO Now. When it comes to simultaneous device streaming, HBO Max caps it at three devices.
- Hulu allows six profiles.
- YouTube TV may only come with 3 simultaneous streams, but it allows up to 6 household members to share 1 subscription account.
- During a typical 30-minute show, users can except an ad before the show starts and two ad breaks during their program. Most hour-long broadcasts have five ad breaks and an ad before the show.
- HBOMax – no hour will feature more than four minutes of commercials
- You can skip commercials using the YouTube TV DVR. The feature showed up 2 years ago and plenty of YouTube TV users complained that the feature often forced them to watch commercials.
Which platforms overlap
- Hulu and paramount plus for movies
- Peacock and Hulu for television
- Discovery + and YouTube TV
- Amazon and Netflix and Hulu for movies
- YouTube TV – Big Ten Network, Fox Sports Network, Golf Network and ESPN
- Hulu with live TV
- Sling TV
- Mint financial app – Free
How to pick things to watch
- Just watch app (free)
- Live TV: PBS Video
- Kids and Families: Kanopy
- Movies and Documentaries: Kanopy or IMDb TV
- Network TV Shows: Peacock
- Original Series: Peacock
- Sports: Pluto TV
Golden Girls Facts:
- 10 Facts about the theme song
- Reddit discusses the theme song
- Cher sings updated theme song for Betty White
- A brief history of Thank You For Being A Friend